Counseling is defined as the procedure in which the client and counselor discuss stressful problems or it is a process of cooperation in which the client and qualified mental health professional aim to identify the source of problems. In the words ACA (American counseling association) “ counseling is a unique helping relationship in which the client is provided with an opportunity to learn, think, experience and change in the way one thinks are desired”. It aims to alleviate the confusion of clients, bringing a positive change in the clients. The counselor helps our clients to make decisions and act upon them. Hence, it is the main objective of counseling.
Counseling psychologists employ psychometric assessments and psychological theories and research to assist clients in identifying the psychological problem that is impairing their social and occupational life. They aim to find out underlying issues that are hampering the individual thereby promoting psychological well-being. In other words, they work in resolving physical, affective, cognitive issues. They also provide a diagnosis for psychological disorders. Counselors build rapport with the client and establish share, trust that makes the client feel comfortable. They work with people of all age groups. The relationship between the client and counselor is based on trust. Counselors are bound by the law of confidentiality. They cannot reveal any details about the clients unless it is life-threatening. Few skills that a counselor possesses are Active listening, empathy, self-regulation, patience, non-judgemental, communication skills, and many other skills that make them efficient counselors.
Counseling is an essential skill of a psychologist because the client feels that they are being heard. Thus, that is where our role begins as a mental health organization, aspiring towards providing all our prospective students with opportunities to learn the necessary skills required to be an effective counselor. The internship is a short-term work experience that is done by students to gain practical exposure. In other words, it provides hands-on training to students in respect to specific fields. Students who work in a professional setting during the internship are called interns. They usually work for a specific period. Some internships are part-time while others are full-time. These days universities ask students to do internships on vacations or weekdays as it provides extra value to their degrees. With the help of an internship, individuals get an understanding of what type of work they can expect in the future.
What positive insight offers?
- Positive insight helps in developing professional networks.
- It helps students create and accomplish learning objectives.
- It helps in building the skill sets required for a particular field.
- It provides feedback to the students.
- It will provide an insight to individuals as to what they can expect from the specific field as well as will develop certain skills such as patience, listening skills, communication skills that will increase one’s career opportunities and overall personality development.
- It adds credit to their graduate degrees.
About the internships
Our team aims to build opportunities for undergraduates, budding psychologists. Hence, they have organized an internship that will focus on counseling and will cover all the important aspects. It is a 30-hour internship in counseling. The internship will cover the meaning of counseling psychology. It will discuss the aim and objective of counseling. The skills and role of a counseling psychologist. Stages and theories of counseling along with case discussions and assignments. Anyone interested in learning about the various aspects of counseling can be a part of this wonderful opportunity. Classes will be held four days a week i.e Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Further, an internship is aimed to bridge a gap between concepts of counseling and their applicability in practical situations.
About the organization
POSITIVE INSIGHT SERVICES is one of the best organizations in Delhi NCR.
It empowers e-learning that way to build up a great environment for exciting thriving with the help of workshops, arranging courses that structure a stigma-free climate. It is committed to excellence by designing detailed course structures and urging undergraduates to think critically. The affiliation acknowledges that coaching is a crucial piece of any field. Thus, the mentors are not simply qualified and have an understanding of the field of psychology yet also inspire to help undergraduates with the assistance of instructional courses and other various tasks. It likewise means to instruct the majority about the significance of mental prosperity. It offers assistance for individuals of all ages regardless of sex. It aims to find the right therapist and training program for everyone. Our team aspires to help people to connect with trusted psychologists offline and online. It offers psychological assessments, therapies, workshops, and internships.
Why choose positive insight?
Trained experts-: At positive insight we have trained and experienced mental health professionals who will conduct the programs. Thus, be confident and learn.
Budget-friendly -: The programs organized by us are cost-effective so that everyone can have a valuable experience.
Google platform-: To conduct our programs we employ the google platform for the satisfaction of our participants and maintaining confidentiality.
Notes and references-: We provide the notes (if there are any) of the program conducted in the form of word documents and other necessary materials at the end of the successful completion of the workshop.
Recorded sessions-: Our organizations provide recorded sessions that participants can go through anytime repeatedly.
Certificates-: E- certificates will be handed out to the participants after successful completion of the program. Though, these certificates are not the license to act as professional mental health experts.
Practical use – We focus on the practical aspect of theories with the help of role plays. We make our students understand the barriers that arise in the session and put theories learned into practice in a safe and non-harming environment.
Q1 What is counseling?
Ans) Counseling is a unique helping relationship in which the client is provided with an opportunity to learn, think, experience, and change in the way one thinks are desired.
Q2) What are the stages of counseling?
Ans) The following are the stages of counseling-:
- Initial disclosure
- In-depth exploration
Mutually agreed on goals and objective
- Commitment to action( implementation of the plan)
- Follow up
Q3) State the skills of a counselor
- Active listening
- Communication skill
Q4) What is the purpose of counseling?
Ans ) The following are the purpose of counseling-:
- Achieving positive mental health.
- Effective decision-making skills.
- Problem resolution
- Behavior modification
Q5) What does a counseling psychologist do?
Ans) A counseling psychologist is someone who helps people of all ages regardless of gender to alleviate the feelings of stress, reduce anxiety. In other words, they help people attenuate physical, psychological, cognitive and behavioural problems that are impairing their social and occupational life. Hence, enhancing their sense of well-being.
Q6) What is a difference between counselor and clinical psychologist?
|Counseling psychologist||Clinical psychologist|
|A counsellor focuses on healthy individuals i.e those who do not have any serious psychological problem.||A clinical psychologist focuses on serious mental health problems such as severe depression.|
|They employ client centered therapy (humanistic approach)||They employ psychodynamic or behavioural therapy to overcome the problem.|
|Counselling psychologists are more likely to work in universities or organizations.||They are more likely to work in hospitals or clinics.|
|A counselor does not require a doctorate degree to practise.||A clinical psychologist requires a doctorate degree to practise|
Q7) How does an internship add extra credit to their degrees?
ans) Those who have prior work experience or internship are aware about the work culture and require less training. They will develop a professional attitude and have a broad perspective. Employers are likely to choose an individual who has prior experience.
Q8) What is covered in a 30 hour internship in counseling?
- The internship will cover the meaning of counseling psychology.
- It will discuss the aim and objective of counseling.
- The skills and role of a counseling psychologist.
- Stages and theories of counseling along with case discussions and assignments.
- It is aimed to bridge a gap between concepts of counseling and their applicability in practical situations.
Q9) State the skills of counselor
- Active listening
- Communication skills
Q10) How does one become a counseling psychologist?
Ans) In order to become a counseling psychologist one needs to obtain a bachelor’s degree in counseling psychology. One needs to have a master’s degree to become a licensed counselor. In addition to this, one needs to work under experienced or licensed counselors for several years.
Q11) What is the benefit of a recorded session?
Ans) A 30-hour internship in counseling is an online internship that is organized. Recorded sessions are useful in the future as one can go back and take help.
The following are the benefits of the recorded session that are as follows-:
- One can share the same knowledge with others using recorded sessions.
- It is useful for slow learners.
- It will help in learning the core concepts of psychotherapies.
- It will act as reference material in the future.
Q12) What are the barriers that arise in counseling?
- Physical barriers- It could be a place where movement is restricted i.e one cannot go there
- Perceptual barriers- Everyone has their own understanding of the world around them. It could be very difficult to change the perception.
- Emotional barrier- People can come for counseling but it doesn’t mean that they have overcome their doubt, suspiciousness, insecurities. These emotions hinder ineffective counseling
- Language barrier- Sometimes, the client and counselor do not understand each other’s language. Hence, a barrier manifests.
- Gender barrier – Sometimes, one may not disclose certain information to the opposite gender counselor, or other times even the counselor doesn’t ask for personal information. Thus, it causes problems in counseling.
Q13) What are the problems that counselors go through?
Ans) The following are the problems that counselor go through-:
- To maintain a line between personal and professional boundaries.
- Emotional burnout.
- Putting personal opinion aside
- Handling patients who are not disclosing themselves completely.
- Empathetic and objective at the same time.